Creative U — The Summer Arts Program at UNT CVAD
The 2023 Creative U session is full.
WAITLIST: Please complete the application form below to be placed on the waitlist.
The College of Visual Arts and Design will host 20 high school juniors and seniors for a day camp in the summer of 2023 in the Art Building.
A collaboration between the CVAD Foundations program and the Onstead Institute has resulted in plans for a two-week day camp from June 5–16, 2023. Students will learn how art and design practices can be used to investigate and communicate ideas, tell stories, identify problems and determine solutions!
The camp allows rising juniors and seniors in high school to engage in critical thinking skills through creative means. Students will participate in activities designed by CVAD faculty that foster visual problem-solving and skills-based making. The summer camp curriculum reveals how art and design practices can be used to investigate and communicate ideas, tell stories, identify problems, and determine solutions.
Campers will explore color theory, design thinking, observational drawing, digital illustration, typography, graphic novels, and other topics at the college’s facilities. CVAD’s 238,000-square-foot building boasts an array of cutting-edge resources and equipment — an invigorating environment for young learners. Previous artmaking experience is not required; campers of all backgrounds are encouraged to attend.
Dates, Times, Location
Day Camp: June 5–16, 2023,
Monday–Friday, 8 am.–4 p.m.
UNT College of Visual Art and Design | Map to the UNT CVAD Art Building
UNT Art Building
1201 W. Mulberry St.
Denton, TX 76201
Eligibility to Attend
To be eligible, a student must have a projected high school graduation date in 2024 or 2025.
Two Steps: Apply then Pay Tuition or Apply for a Scholarship
1. Application for the waitlist: Apply Now!
Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis for 20 available spots in the camp. Once the camp is full, applicants will be added to a waiting list. After you apply, you may proceed to pay the tuition or submit documentation for a scholarship to pay the tuition.
Only the waitlist is open.
The deadline to submit Scholarship Eligibility Documentation is May 1, 2023, by 5 p.m.
2. Pay Tuition after you Apply — or — Apply for a Scholarship
Tuition for the two-week program is a one-time online payment of $820 in full through the UNT Commerce Manager. A limited number of scholarships and grants to attend will be available based on financial need and to promote equity, diversity and accessibility. The number of available scholarships is limited. Creative U at UNT CVAD awards scholarships on a first-come, first-served basis.
Donation: To sponsor a student's cost, please donate to CVAD by contacting Felicia Lewis, the college's senior fundraising and development officer.
The number of available scholarships is limited. Scholarships cover the full price of tuition. Creative U at UNT CVAD awards scholarships on a first-come, first-served basis. Your application will be complete only after payment or the required scholarship eligibility documents are received via your email to CreativeU@unt.edu.
To demonstrate eligibility for financial aid, the applicant must submit one of the following.
- Copy of the first page of your 2021 or 2022 1040-tax form showing your income or
- Evidence of
- documentation of eligibility for the free/reduced lunch program for the 2022-2023 school year or
- current participation in Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, TANF, or
- a receipt of current Basic Food/SNAP benefits, or
- participation in the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, FDPIR, or
- documentation that the applicant is currently in the Foster Care System
Documentation of scholarship eligibility is due by May 1, 2023, at 5 p.m.
For more information or to submit eligibility documentation, please email the College of Visual Arts and Design's Creative U office at CreativeU@unt.edu.
- Cancellations received by April 24, 2023, will receive a 100% refund, less a $50 deposit processing fee.
- Cancellations received between April 25 to May 28, 2023, will receive a 50% refund, less a $50 deposit processing fee.
- 100% (less a $50 processing fee) if requested on or before April 24, 2023
- 50% (less a $50 processing fee) if requested between April 25 to May 28, 2023
- No refunds on or after May 29, 2023
- After the camp reaches its maximum class capacity, payments will be returned in full.
General Daily Lesson Sequence, Agenda Format
8–9 a.m.: Collaborative work, icebreaker
9–9:30 a.m.: Intro to morning session & agenda — distribute supplies, materials, works, presentations, films, etc.
9:30–11:30 a.m.: Morning activity
11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.: Lunch on campus — provided by Creative U
12:30–1:30 p.m.: On-campus excursions, such as visits to the Art Building galleries, Texas Fashion Collection or the UNT Library
1:30–3:45 p.m.: Afternoon activity
3:45–4 p.m.: Reflections, clean up and wrap up